Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Just some thoughts....

I recently heard a statistic... 

We as women have two or fewer close friends that we can call "bff's".  At first I wanted to disagree with that, but than I began to think about it a little deeper.  To me a best friend is a friend that I can share anything with.  Anything meaning, how my relationship with God is. My relationship with my husband is.  What I am struggling with...whether it is my weight, my kids, my thoughts...just life in general.  Someone that I can talk to and KNOW for certain that it will not become gossip.  Someone that I can confide in.  Someone that I can cry in front of and not feel ashamed of it. 

As these thoughts went through my mind I began to agree with what I heard.  Indeed...I have two people that I consider to be my best friends here on this earth.

Of course without hesitation my number one friend is Kevin.  He is my everything, and that's the way it should be.  He is who I go to when I need a shoulder to cry on...an answer to a question...someone to talk to...someone who will listen and then offer advice.  He knows me better than I know myself.  I am so thankful for him and the close relationship that we have. 

I also have another very close friend.  We will call her my "bff" in this post.  She knows who she is and she also knows how grateful I am that I am able to call her my "bff". :)  Being a wife to a firefighter/EMT is not easy.  Actually, it can be VERY lonely at times, and being lonely when you are playing a "single" parenting role is NEVER fun.  Believe me, I have been there.  There are days and nights when shifts last 12, 24, 36 or even 48 hours long.  Those days can become exhausting...and she understands because our husbands work together. 

Over the past year I don't think I would be where I am at today without my "bff".  I have had lots of friends in my life come and go.  They have taught me much about being a friend. Some have taught me how to be a better friend and some have shown me what not to do in a friendship.  I have friends love me for who I am, and some judge me for who I am...but in the end, it does not matter. 

So....can my two close friends say the same thing about me?  Can they say I am loyal to them?  Can they say that I am there for them through the thick and thin?   I pray that I am always a "bff" type of friend to them. 

This past weekend  my "bff" and our husbands were together and with tears in my eyes I shared my heart and how heavy it was about one area in my life.  It was refreshing to be able to talk and not feel as if I was being judged for decisions I was making as a momma, and it was refreshing to hear how they as parents have been through the same struggles in their lives.  I went to bed that night feeling encouraged and like a weight had been lifted off my shoulder! It has carried me through the first part of this week...

So thank you to my "bff" for all you do for me, Kevin and our children.  It means SO much!  So very much!


No comments: